CHANGES TO MY STUDY PROGRAMME

I'm currently in my fourth year studying journalism at the University of Chile, and being honest I think there are several things that could change for the better. The current program just started a few years ago, a year before we entered the university. 

I personally think that the five years that the career lasts are too many, I have no issues with it being long but it does feel like some classes are just unnecessary. I think that just four years are enough and considering how expensive education is, it would help us. 

I also don't like the catalog of obligatory electives and the fact that we have to take so many of them. The options are not varied and are actually kinda repetitive. I feel there should ask students about our preferences and try to create more options, according to what students are actually more interested in. 

 The university could also have better infrastructure, I think that the campus is not very beautiful, but what I consider more important, we could have more resources in terms of technology, our career needs to use computers, cameras, microphones and stuff like that, and the university does not provide for the high demand of students, leaving some of them without access when needed. Also we don't have many practice with internet resources, something that I think is very important for today's journalism. 

The university main focus on the career it's clearly written journalism, and I think they should also put more focus on radio or television or audiovisual work, since not all students want to work on writing, that's something that I would also change. 

On the other hand, I really have liked the teaching methods of the career, the professors are usually very good and very helpful. I also like that it's more focused on practical learning more than theoretical, because it's more like close to what the job it's really like and it help us with some valuable experience. 

Comments